Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lobster Cookin’

Tonight was my first experience with whole lobsters.  They came in red netting.  I have no idea whether I was suppose to boil them in the netting or not, but I did anyways.  It was actually kind of gross.  They turned the water green.  The insides were all green too.  I did not know this.

When I googled this, I found this excerpt from the Lobster Institute:

What is the green stuff you find in the cooked lobsters? Can you eat it?

This is the tomalley or tamali, which functions like the liver, pancreas and intestines in the lobster. Many find it delicious to eat. Recently there have been concerns about finding dioxin in tomalley. The Maine Lobster Promotion Council offers this advice to consumers and concerned citizens: “(According to the Advanced Seafood Handbook,) ‘there are no known safety considerations when it comes to eating lobster meat. However, consumers are advised not to eat the tomalley, the light green substance found in the lobster's carapace. This is the liver and pancreas, which are thought to accumulate contaminants from the environment.’ Much like the liver of other animals, the lobster's tomalley is the natural filter for contaminants, like dioxins, from entering the system. Finding the dioxins in the lobster tomalley is regrettable, and certainly a sign of the times in which we live. However, it is also a reassuring indication of the lobster's natural defense system at work, keeping the lobster meat wholesome, nutritious and delicious.”

Since I have never dealt with a whole lobster, I had no idea what this gunk was.  I think I will just buy the lobster tail only from now on. 

IMG_3620

I made some green beans with a white onion as a side dish.

IMG_3621

I also tried out some garlic cheddar biscuits like Red Lobster’s.  I used Robbie’s Recipe.  They were a little more dense than Red Lobster’s, but they were still pretty good. 

IMG_3624

No comments:

Post a Comment