I am trying to cook some different vegetables. I admit I love watching the food network. I have seen several of the chefs using leeks lately. I have never knowingly eaten leeks nor cooked with them. So, I decided to give it a try with potato and leek soup and a recipe a found in the food network magazine.
Here is the base recipe, but I always change it up depending on what I have and what I think will actually taste good:
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 large leeks, white and light green party only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, 2 cups water, the potatoes and salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Puree half the coup in a blender, then return to the pot. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with croutons, bacon and parsley.
I bought a bunch of 3 medium leeks. They look like giant green onions. So, you can pretend you are on Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. (It was on TV the other day.)
I sliced them and put them in a bowl of water. Everyone warns you to wash between the layers really well because dirt and sand can be caught in between the layers.
Mmmm…. BACON! I thought about just eating the bacon pieces for dinner because really what else do you need?
After the bacon was done, I chopped up the potatoes and cooked up the leeks in the pan.
Once the leeks are cooked up, I added chicken broth and the potatoes to boil.
Eventually, the potatoes were all nice and tender and I added some peas! It takes almost zero time for the frozen peas to cook up. Before long, my boyfriend and I had some yummy soup for dinner.
Top the soup with some of that delish bacon and cheddar. It was really good. I had a bowl with some grilled cheese! Be jealous! :)
I liked the leeks. They were really goooooooooood! In fact, I wished I had more leeks and less potato in the soup.
I want to try a leek salad that I saw on food network soon! I bet it is going to be good!