Day 24 - A picture of something you wish you could change.
We are definitely dog people. I adopted Louis from the Tulsa SPCA, and we adopted Jack from friends that were trying to find the homeless puppies a family. I definitely recommend adopting dogs from shelters rather than buying them from breeders. It is horrible to hear about the puppy mills and how those dogs are kept. There is a lot of animal cruelty by breeders. Plus, there are plenty of pets that need homes without having to breed more. Too many animals get put down because the shelters cannot find homes for them all.
My boyfriend received a brochure the other day about cutting back eating meat. It talks about just cutting your meat consumption in half can spare hundreds of animals from a lifetime of suffering. It is really sad to think about all the animal cruelty,and the pictures are horrible of the factory farms. Because the pictures and facts are pretty horrific and literally make me sick to my stomach, I won’t divulge into all that information.
The brochure gives some tips for changing your habits without completely changing to a vegetarian/vegan diet:
- Substitute marinara for meat sauce
- Eat bean burritos instead of beef or chicken tacos
- Although all factory faming involves cruel practices, you can spare more animals by avoiding eggs, chicken, turkey and pigs.
- Years of eating less meat and eggs will prevent more suffering than a brief stint on a vegan diet.
- You can order a free booklet for more ideas at OpposeCruelty.org/guide.
Feel free to also check out the brochure and website here.