Thursday, April 14, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

I saw Brittany from A Healthy Slice of Life make these Black Bean Brownies, and I wanted to give them a try.
Ingredients
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
  2. Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, and sugar in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

I hardly ever use the blender.  So, I had to dig it out of the top cabinets, which means moving all the dog treats and liquor out of the way and finding something to use as a step stool.  After about ten minutes of trying to get out the blender, figuring out how to put it together and cursing myself, I dumped all the ingredients into it.  It will look a little something like this at first…

DSCF2521

But then, it will turn into this…

  DSCF2523

Then, if you don’t use the blender a lot, you try to remove the glass pitcher from the base and everything will immediately start to leak everywhere!  Ugh!  Luckily, I realized what was happening and managed to get some of the batter into the pan.  (I may have scraped some of it off the counter… Don’t judge) Top it off with some chocolate chips, and it’s good to go.

 DSCF2524

30 Minutes later…

  DSCF2526

Well, it looks pretty normal.   The real taste test is my boyfriend.  I didn’t tell him they had black beans in them, but I did say they were a little different.  He tried one and immediately said they were a little dry.  I think this might be because I still haven’t figured out our oven.  It bakes everything super fast, and I have to adjust accordingly.

Anyways, I told him there were black beans in the brownies.  He just sort of laughed and said ok, whatever.  BUT, they were a little dry.  Not bad, but not amazing.  I know they weren’t that good because he only ate a really small brownie and usually he will eat half the pan.  So, maybe I will try them again and cook them for less time, but probably not. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so disgusting, but they look kinda....normal. Maybe just don't tell people there's beans in there!

    ReplyDelete